Cluster Map

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Reflections & Final Images...




\

I had a farm in Africa..... Well, ok, I didn't, but how I love that line from Out of Africa - How it brings about the feeling of recalling a wondrous, far-away land. Today I'm on my way home and have had some long flights (one more to go) to reflect on all that I have experienced and learned these past ten days (seems like a lifetime).

There are several random but interesting things that I'd like to share before I sign off- like how much Africans adore and respect President Obama. I knew that he was popular but I never imagined that I would see his image posted everywhere - in shops, hotels and even in the convent of St. Catherine's School.
Another omnipresent sight has been that of children playing soccer - everywhere- and of large groups of people (primarily men) gathered around TV sets watching soccer matches. I remain convinced that soccer is the great global unifier (except for the USA). Indeed, all of Africa is rejoicing in the hosting of the upcoming World Cup in South Africa this summer. I can't wait!!

And speaking of interesting sights, I have always enjoyed seeing photos of African children at school, all dressed in their sharp school uniforms. But I am rethinking how I feel about those uniforms because I have learned that uniforms, unlike in the States where we love them because they simplify things and equalize the kids, can actually be a huge burden on families. The uniform can be what prevents a child from going to school because children aren't admitted to school if they can't afford the uniform. I try not to be too judgemental on other societies but the uniform situation is representative of how the whole educational system (if it can be called a system) in Uganda can be cruel and focused on beating down a child rather than lifting him / her up - that's hard for me to understand and I am happy for the exceptions that I see to this trend of shaming the child. I am also hopeful that schools like the Empower African Children School will serve as a model for educational reform.

Another situation which I hope will continue to improve in Uganda is the life expectancy. Currently, the life expectancy is in the 50's (it was in the 30's a decade ago) and more than 50% of the population is under the age of 15!! It is a country full of young people - I hardly saw anyone over the age of 60. in Uganda, death is a part of daily life - something which is evidenced by the coffin sellers along the road. The danger of this reality is that people can become complacent thinking that there is nothing that they can do to escape or change the situation. However, with all of the efforts being made in health care and education, I think the life expectancy can go much higher in the coming decades.

Of course, there is also much that I will look at with different eyes as a result of this experience. Before this trip, I never much thought about electricity and how much we rely on bright lights to guide our way around town and around our own homes - how we take light and electricity for granted. I am still squinting from trying to adjust to the darkness.

And the whole question of resources and justice brings me to a more philosophical question about what defines poverty and abundance in this life - and who has what ... It's a question which Alexis constantly posed to me throughout this journey. I'm not done figuring out my answer to her question but the truth, I think, is that there are many ways in which each is manifested. Love and laughter are abundant in Uganda, that is certain. For that reason, I cannot forget the people who I met along the way - especially the children who completely melted my heart with a million little gestures like writing me a note or calling me "Auntie." Because her life, with all of its challenges, is filled with these children, I would say that Alexis has a most abundant life. How grateful I am to her for sharing it with me!!
And Agnes... there aren't enough words to express how proud I am of her, how proud I am to have played a tiny role in her formation and how proud I am today to call her my friend. I send a giant message of gratitude out into the universe for Sr. Rose, the Daughter of Charity who started the orphanage where Agnes lived as a young child and where Alexis met Agnes. It is my great regret never to have met Sr. Rose but I know that her spirit lives on in Agnes and Alexis and in all of the profoundly important work of Empower African Children. I can't wait to see how they continue to change the world - one child at a time :)!
Thank you for following my blog!!
Until the next adventure!!
Cecilia :)

3 comments:

  1. Cecilia,
    Thanks to ‘Newer‘ Technology and modern communication practices including 'The Internet' and Blogging, we become aware of dramatic situations world over. Your global posting for Ursuline Academy of Dallas is showing us so many interesting things (including your steps following those of Burton’s and Speke’s in Nile territory avoiding dangerous reptiles…) and a lot of courage and good will as shown by Agnes, the Sisters at St. Catherine’s, Alexis, Ian and others you met during this latest 'expedition'. These people are definitely making this a better world. Congratulations to you and all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow--and amazing as usual. my following got a bit messed up--but Ms. C--this is amazing as usual!!! who has what in this world is the source of so many problems!! you have seen more ways of living than most of us get to experience. and now we have to find ways to offer these experienes to our children as a must! in education. they must realize that everyone must use all the resources we have--human and natural--in the most sustainblbe, least intrusive way. nature wins every time, and we can't let human nature and our desire for more and bigger and better, crowd out so many people on the planet. live simply--so that others can simply live.

    peace and safe travels back!!

    matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following you now, Cecilia! In Africa or wherever you go. :-)

    ReplyDelete