Cluster Map

Friday, March 26, 2010

Sanyu Babies Home




After we fled from the Puff Adder Snake and enjoyed a Club Sandwich at the ARA, we spent the afternoon at the Sanyu Babies Home http://www.sanyubabies.com/ . Alexis thought it would be a great place for me to see not only for the good work that they do but also to learn about the possibilities for our students to serve as volunteers.

I first learned about the Sanyu Babies Home from our own Mr. Thompson because his son served as a volunteer there quite recently on a mission trip. He told me about the special relationship that the Sanyu Babies Home has with the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas and, indeed, I saw a plaque at the home in honor of the Episcopal Diocese. It was very meaningful to me that this wonderful home which cares for the "abandoned, destitute and orphaned children of Uganda" has a connection to Dallas and, through the Thompson family, to Ursuline.

The Home was very impressive with its dedicated staff, cheerful colors and irresistible babies. When we visited, there were several volunteers there helping to care for the 50 or so babies currently living in the home. But, of course, they could use more help. And we were not just observers, we quickly joined in by playing with the babies who so wanted our attention. I spent quite a while with Martha who enjoyed pulling my eyelashes. There was also one darling little boy who clung to me and made it very, very difficult to leave. I even shocked myself by asking "So, what does one do to adopt a baby here?" thinking that maybe I could just take him with me and no one would mind if I were to return home with this precious bundle (Mom & Daddy, don't get too excited). That's when I learned that, of course, the procedure is long and bureaucratic and foreigners need to reside in Uganda for a period of time in order to be "monitored." I was glad to learn that so much care goes into finding the right family for each child but I was also very sad to think that many are never placed with a family.

As I mentioned, there were several volunteers at the Home. Two who impressed me tremendously were Maddie and Sarah, two American Juniors from the Brooks School in Andover, Massachusetts. It turns out that they are exchange students and that they will be taking two Ugandan students back to the USA with them when they go home after their 5 week stay in Uganda. We had a lively conversation about their experience at Kings College Budo, their Ugandan school. They looked super sharp in the school uniform and I was really sorry that my camera battery chose that moment to run out because they were playing so joyfully with the babies. The girls could not have been more lovely and articulate and they reminded me so much of our Ursuline students. Brooks school, snaps to you!! You can be very proud of the way your students are representing you around the world!!

No comments:

Post a Comment