Cluster Map

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Source of the Nile!!



On my last full day in Uganda, Alexis and Agnes decided that it was time for a little adventure (right - like this trip hasn't been a million adventures). So, thinking that we should go somewhere where we might one day take students, they decided to take me to the town of Jinja, where the source of the Nile is located. There we went on a boat ride and actually went directly to where the water bubbles up from the earth and the Nile is born. It was thrilling!! We were accompanied on our somewhat unstable vessel (where Agnes demanded life jackets - thank you Agnes) by our guide, Elijah, who assured us that he is the very best and most knowledgeable guide. It was a dream come true to be there and to enjoy the beautiful and lush scenery (where supposedly monkeys frolic freely but RATS, I only saw birds). I only regret that I hadn't invested in a safari hat to complete my adventurer look - I really got into imagining that I was on an expedition with Burton and Speke, the explorers known for seeking out the source of the Nile.
After our time floating around the Nile, we visited the beautiful Bujagali Falls where the Nile meets Lake Victoria - another scenic wonder!! It was a marvelous way to spend some of my last moments in Uganda...
But we are not totally finished - a few refelctions still to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment